Ways to Volunteer
- Cook a meal at home for 30. Volunteers are now permitted to come and serve your meals at the Emergency Shelter. Masks must be worn at all times. Please sanitize your hands when you enter the Shelter. Sign up HERE for date and meal of your choice. See meal preparation guidelines.
- Restock snacks and socialize with our guests over a cup of coffee, a puzzle, board games, cards or a movie in the newly opened KentHOPE Cafe, which provides community space for guests and volunteers to mingle, and for kids to come for after-school snacks. Located in Apartment #5, the cafe is open from 6:30am to 4:30pm every day. Sign up HERE to choose a date and time that works for you.
- Assist a child or youth with homework or Bible study or arts and crafts.
- Lead a monthly activity for guests to look forward to: crochet or knitting lessons, manicures, hair cuts, game night, book club, etc.
- Invite your group to sponsor a kitchen or bathroom by providing listed supplies and replenishing as needed.
- Provide frozen meals or individually packaged lunches for two to eight people, or boxes of healthy food staples.
- Invite your organization or friends to do a drive for items such as bedding sets, cold breakfast items (instant oatmeal, cereal, granola bars), new underwear, backpacks, gently used coats or shoes. Call the Emergency Shelter staff to find out what is most needed today, 253-480-2325, or email info@KentHOPE.org
- Provide items for children such as clothing, shoes, coats, school supplies, educational toys, books.
- Provide age appropriate welcome bags and individually wrapped snacks for kids.
- Plan a holiday party. Prepare and drop off a holiday meal or party treats for 30, and/or holiday crafts and decorations.
- Pastor or other church leader to offer in-house worship services and/or Bible study.
- Volunteer to drive guests to and from doctor, counseling, housing or job appointments.
- Work with a guest to review and update her resume.
To volunteer for any of the above OR to arrange a time to drop off donations, contact our Volunteer Coordinators at info@KentHOPE.org
Volunteer Co-Coordinators – Gloria Peterson and Sheila Chandler
Meals Coordinator – Pam Culver
At KentHOPE we are thankful for over 350 registered volunteers serving our homeless guests at the Women and Children’s Day Center. We couldn’t do it without you!
In order to keep track of the hours donated by so many people, we use a volunteer registration process that enhances communication, safety, record-keeping and streamlines future sign-ups. The online application and background check is a one-time process that provides us with your contact information and allows you to create your own username and password. You will use your username and password every time you sign up to serve. Please use this link to CREATE AN ACCOUNT after which you may sign up for a specific volunteer opportunity, such as serving a meal, driving our guests to the overnight shelter, or volunteering in guest relations. Your registration helps us keep track of who, when and where all volunteers are serving.